Archive for category Blender
So I have been meaning to update this for a long time, but as my skills of procrastination are exceptional, I haven’t done it before now.
I know what most Blender-heads would say, version 2.63 has been out for a while. I have been comfortable with the workflow of 2.49, got it tweaked in a way that’s familiar, and what happens ? The folks at Blender.org decide to put their efforts into overdrive with version 2.5x and then 2.6x. I had a copy of 2.57 a played with it on and off, but now its version 2.63, (this time next year it might be up to 2.89). I figure I would give the latest version a shot (thankfully they[the Blender Illuminati] have a solid foundation in place where older blender files work well(with minimal effort) on newer versions). So I gave it a try, to do a character from scratch … the verdict…extremely polished. From the features, UI, and extremely flexible setup, 2.63 looks and feels like “top shelf” pro-grade software. And in a matter of a couple of hours, I had one more reason to make my nephew laugh.
After taking a look at some seriously inspirational mythological creatures I figured I would give it a try. Grabbing paper and pencil (yea, I know, old-school) I set out to do a rough sketch(followed by a few 1.0E3 more). And after a while came up with…
then imported the sketch into Blender as a background and set to work. After a few hours, I came up with this after some basic rigging, but prior to starting the texturing / UV process…
It’s not even close to being complete. The biggest problem are the serpents, I probably need to remove them and create one standard serpent with rigging, add more length to the tail and then work from there. I always wanted to do a Greek mythology concept that closely followed the classic stories .
I was working on this while my nephew was visiting and he always gets a laugh out of watching me setting up animation keys in Blender. A concern that I have is when my nephew said that the model looks “familiar”.
I have also just finished a 2D map of the town, Tinyville. It has the layout of the parks, farms and buildings that will be accessible during the game. So I’m in the process of creating scenery and buildings, while also trying to structure what types of mini-challenges and upgrades will be available at the farms and parks.
One of the main things on my mind about this game idea was how the model for Teddy never looked quite right. From the many(very many!) drawings I had tried for this character, the one where he looks slightly younger was always the one that I felt had the most potential. It also brought better continuity to the models of the other characters. After re-creating the model over many iterations, my concern was that Teddy’s model wouldn’t have the features that the drawing had. I would resort to scrapping the existing model and trying to create a new one. But this current model looks like the most promising to date. Blender’s linking process helped speed things up considerably. I was able to create a file with just Teddy’s accessories (glasses, cap, mailbag, scooter, etc.) and then link each new character model to that file to use those objects to see if they worked well with the model.
A comparison of the last two models gives a good sense of the direction taken so far .
Now it’s on to materials, textures, and an armature…