Archive for category Character model

WIP: Blendering mythology with a possible game idea

After taking a look at some seriously inspirational mythological creatures I figured I would give it a try. Grabbing paper and pencil (yea, I know, old-school) I set out to do a rough sketch(followed by a few 1.0E3 more). And after a while came up with…

Concept sketch

then imported the sketch into Blender as a background and set to work. After a few hours, I came up with this after some basic rigging, but prior to starting the texturing / UV process…

It’s not even close to being complete. The biggest problem are the serpents, I probably need to remove them and create one standard serpent with rigging, add more length to the tail and then work from there. I always wanted to do a Greek mythology concept that closely followed the classic stories .

Advertisements

, , , ,

Leave a comment

New Character Model: Uncle Jo Kester

I was working on this while my nephew was visiting and he always gets a laugh out of watching me setting up animation keys in Blender. A concern that I have is when my nephew said that the model looks “familiar”.

I have also just finished a 2D map of the town, Tinyville.  It has the layout of the parks, farms and buildings that will be accessible during the game.   So I’m in the process of creating scenery and buildings, while also trying to structure what types of mini-challenges and upgrades will be available at   the farms and parks.

, , , , ,

Leave a comment

A step in the right direction.

One of the main things on my mind about this game idea was how the model for Teddy never looked quite right.  From the many(very many!) drawings I had tried for this character, the one where he looks slightly younger was always the one that I felt had the most potential.  It also brought better continuity to the models of the other characters.  After re-creating the model over many iterations, my concern was that Teddy’s model wouldn’t have the features that the drawing had.  I would resort to scrapping the existing model and trying to create a new one.  But this current model looks like the most promising to date.  Blender’s linking process helped speed things up considerably.  I was able to create a file with just Teddy’s accessories (glasses, cap, mailbag, scooter, etc.) and then link each new character model to that file to use those objects to see if they worked well with the model.

A comparison of the last two models gives a good sense of the direction taken so far .

Previous model

Current model

   

Now it’s on to materials, textures, and an armature…

, , , , , , ,

1 Comment

%d bloggers like this: